Darn bees. This weekend we found that our hummingbird feeder was attracting bees. Lots and lots of bees. The hummingbirds wouldn't land. They were swarming around the feeder. I am extremely allergic to bees. I swell up like a football wherever I get stung. So, I have to be really careful.
I went online and read about the bees to feeder phenomena and apparently it is normal. Well, normal when your feeder is old and cracked from being exposed to the elements. Ours was definately that. It said that the bees flood to the cracked areas where they can get to the sugary sweet stuff.
On Sunday I noticed it wasn't just attracting bees it was now dripping onto the deck and the bees were swarming the deck - well, like bees to honey.
So, even though I am super allergic to these little guys, I set my coffee cup down and pulled the hose out. I started spraying the deck to wash off the sticky substance and then I sprayed the feeder. The bees weren't happy, but while spraying I was able to get the feeder down, empty it, and toss it into the recycling.
Goodbye bees. And sadly goodbye hummingbirds. Well, until I get one of the recommended feeders! Its a real Humdinger!